In the event of severe weather, please see the different scenarios listed below in order that you can anticipate how to respond:
Delayed opening of le Rocquier School or closure
If conditions deteriorate and become unsafe, a decision to close the school will be taken by the Chief Education Officer or, in his absence, the Deputy Chief Officer at 6am. If conditions are forecast to improve he may decide to delay the decision until 8am when a final decision will be made. Any public announcement will be made only on his authority.
The Education Department will contact the public through:
- Radio Jersey - messages will be broadcast between 7am and 8am and throughout the day
- Channel 103 will carry newsflashes during broadcast hours
- Channel Television will carry news flashes during broadcast hours
- Liberty Bus will issue regular updates on their website
- Follow Twitter on - @statesofjersey and @jerseyeducation and @lerocquier and our Facebook page
- The States of Jersey website – www.gov.je which will be updated at 6am, 8am and 1.30pm if necessary
Closure during the school day
If it is necessary to run the school bus service early, Liberty Bus will make the decision and the Chief Education Officer will inform Le Rocquier School and the media as soon as that decision has been made. The buses will then aim to collect students as soon as possible.
A record of your pre-agreed option is kept on school records. You will have made one of the following choices for your son/daughter:
- Remain at school until collected
- Make his/her own way home
- Walk to a friend/relative/your work place
We will follow these instructions should the school bus service be cancelled or if we have to close the school early.
Our first concern is to ensure our students are safe so please follow travel advice and keep updated on the forecast especially if students are travelling on two or four wheels at this time of the year. Perhaps the bus is the better option when the temperature drops below zero rather than a scooter.
I hope that by reminding you of these procedures you will consider how best to respond to a closure.
Acting Head Teacher