A noun names a person or thing. Words like apple, dog, team and chair are all nouns. One apple is singular. More than one is plural.
To make most nouns plural, add –s.
apple + s = apples
- if the noun ends in –s, -ss, -x, -sh or –ch, add –es.
bus + es = buses church + es = churches glass + es = glasses
- if the noun ends in a consonant + -y, change the –y to ie then add –s
baby – ie + s = babies family – ie + s = families
- if the noun ends in –f or –fe, change this to –ves.
half = halves life = lives
- if the noun ends in –o, add –es.
hero + es = heroes tomato + es = tomatoes
* Some plurals do not add ‘-s’ so you will need to learn these.