Terms & Condtions
School closures during severe weather
As the risk of ice and snow on the roads approaches once again, I wanted to outline the arrangements that are in place in the event of severe weather and possible school closures.
The Met office always gives the Department for Education Sport & Culture (ESC), Transport and Technical Services and Connex advance warning if there is a risk of severe weather. If a decision is made to close schools information will be provided in the following ways:
• www.gov.je/SchoolClosures will be updated at 6am, 8am and 1:30pm if necessary
• the media will be informed and messages will be broadcast on Radio Jersey between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. and throughout the day
• Channel Television will carry newsflashes during broadcast hours
• Channel 103 will carry newsflashes during broadcast hours
• Connex will issue regular updates on their website.
I have detailed the different scenarios below so that you can plan for the times that schools are likely to close.
Decision to close / delay in opening Schools
If conditions deteriorate overnight a decision will be made by 6am.
If conditions are forecast to improve the decision may be delayed until 8am.
If the opening of schools is deIayed and conditions improve, schools will open at 10:30am and the school bus service will be rescheduled accordingly.
If it is not feasible for schools to open by 10:30am then they will remain closed for the day.
Decision to close schools during the day
If weather conditions are forecast to deteriorate during the day, while schools are in session, then school bus service may run earlier. Connex will make a decision by 11.30am and buses will collect children by 1.30pm.
ESC will inform schools of the decision by email and phone.
Pre-agreed transport / collection arrangements between parents and schools
In the event that the school bus service is cancelled whilst schools are in session, then headteachers will follow the preferred wishes of parents as indicated on the school data forms. It is important therefore that any changes to these are communicated to schools.These transport arrangements are categorised as follows:
These transport arrangements are categorised as follows:
1. Pupil to remain at school until collected
2. Pupil to make his/her own way home on foot
3. Pupil to walk to a specified alternative location (only when appropriate - depending on age and distance to agreed location).
If you do not drive or are unable to walk to your child's school, it is important that you have an agreed plan in place with your school.
Work available on-line
If schools do close work will be available for pupils / students on line at http://www.closed.sch.je/.
Inevitably when schools close other than as planned, it can cause considerable disruption to children, parents and local businesses. I hope that by communicating these procedures early, any subsequent disruption will be minimised.